°1 pkg. (4 oz.) Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate
°½ cup of water
°2 cups flour
°1 teaspoon baking soda
°¼ tsp salt
°1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
°2 cups of sugar
°4 eggs, separated
°1 teaspoon vanilla
°1 cup buttermilk
+COCONUT PECAN GLAZE:
°4 egg yolks
°1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
°1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
°1-1/2 cup sugar
°¾ cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
°1 package (7 ounces) coconut
°1-1/2 cups pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Line the bottom of 3 8″ or 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper. Butter the sides of the molds. Microwave chocolate and water in large microwaveable bowl on High power until almost melted, stirring after 1 minute. Stirring to the chocolate is melted.
2. Blending flour, baking soda & salt, set apart. Beat butter & sugar in bowl with electric blender on speed to light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stirring in melt chocolate & vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
3. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the batter. Pour equally into prepared pans.
4. Bake 30 min. Immediately run a small metal spatula around the cake layers. Cool in the molds 15 minutes, remove the layers from the molds on wire racks. Discard parchment paper, Cooling cake layers totally. Spread Coconut Pecan Frosting between cake layers and on top of cake
++COCONUT PECAN GLAZE:
5. Beating egg yolks, milk & vanilla in saucepan with whisk to well mixed. Add sugar and butter and cook over medium heat until thickened and golden brown. Remove from fire.
6. Add coconut and walnuts and mix well. Cool to desired consistency. Makes about 4 1/2 cups of frosting, enough to frost 3 layers of cake or 36 cupcakes.